Thursday, July 26, 2012

My Longest and Toughest Training Week

Just a quick post this week - this is it folks, my longest and toughest training week. Here it is for posterity:

Monday: Strength Training and 1:15 Masters Swim
Tuesday: 93 min. Bike Intervals
Wednesday: Strength Training and 4000 yd. Swim
Thursday: 95 min. Interval Run
Friday: Open Water Swim
Saturday: 110 Mile Ride
Sunday: 2hr. 45 min. Run

After this I start tapering so the workouts will get much shorter.

Throw in a few doctor's appointments and it's a crazy week. I'm headed to the endocrinologist this afternoon and crossing my fingers that my A1C is still on track though my early reports show that I may have not done as well managing my diabetes over the last 3 months. We'll see.

My MEN 1 story has been posted on the American Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia  Support website at: http://www.amensupport.org/susan-kent-men-1-story/

Linda Hageman who runs the non profit for AMEN Support has been a good friend to a lot of us in the United States who have MEN. She is working hard at increasing the awareness and support for those of us with Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia and I was honored to share my story.

More to come after this hell week is over. :)


>>
Edited on 7/27 to add:
>>


So the endo appointment went about the way I thought it would - not as well as I would have hoped. I've gone a little off track the past few months and my A1C was higher than we (me and my endo Dr. Gilligan) would like. We made some adjustments to my insulin basal (all day insulin drip) rates but I will have to start doing some tracking to determine whether this is a basal or bolus (insulin I take when I eat) issue. 


Dr. Gilligan gave me an assignment to help us track down the issue. So when my blood glucose is normal before a meal I will eat/bolus as usual and check my blood 2 hours after my meal. If my BG is within 30 points of normal than my bolus factor is correct. If not, then we will have to adjust the bolus factor. 


I also talked to Dr. Gilligan about my swim concerns. I am worried about getting low blood sugar during ironman because I will be in the water between  80 and 90 minutes. I told her that I observed a lot of other diabetic athletes who have tubed pumps which forces them to actually take the pump off before they get in the water. That way they are pretty much assured they won't go low because they aren't getting their basal drip. My pump stays on 24/7 and I don't typically turn it off or even down too low out of fear of going high. After explaining this Dr. Gilligan's eyes got a little wide and she told me to turn my basal rate down by 50% 2 hours before I get in the water. And then this warning... 'If you ' go low <and therefore drown being the implication> in the water I will raise you from the dead and kill you myself'.


Bwa ha ha ha! I loved it. My endo cares. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment